Cheap(er) Chic: From Burberry Prorsum comes a fantastical flat to consider wearing now, on your budget in the form of animal print kitten heel, almost flats…
Low heels are BACK on trend! Tired of seeing painful skyscraper platform heels on runways the world over? Apparently fashion folk got the cue as sensible flat shoes have been finishing off many a look for Fall 2013. Burberry’s Christopher Bailey took the notion to the truly unexpected; animal printed kitten heel wedges featuring oversized, mod-inspired grommets. They were wacky, but plenty stylish too…
The wedges all-over grommets, unique tabs and sculpted heels also gave those looking for a theatrical flat(if there ever was one), a run for their money.
Referencing the naughty but nice appeal of early 60’s London tabloid fixture Christine Keeler, Bailey married the label’s identifiable heritage with a subversively sexy, coquettish nuance. Accents of clear rubber, graphic punches of animalier prints along with a cartoonish heart icon gave the collection a playful swing.
Take note that what worked here was the sense of going for something classic that’s been twisted enough to make it both thoroughly modern and at the same time tasteful.
It’s not often that you see a tweaked out, witty flat on the runway, one that you can really build a narrative around.
What worked here was:
- Like anything at Burberry, a luxe foundation via elegant materials
- Oversized brass grommets lent the shoe a harder, urbane edge and were unusual enough to make a flat a considerable option
- If they were heels, the decoration would have added to too much -something other designers should take note of
- A sculpted heel gave the shoe a curvaceous lift (this was a key feature)
- The animal print kitten heels are almost flats… not too high, not pancake flat, but low heel just right
Watch Burberry Prorsum FW13 fashion show video:
SHOP: We pulled some on budget animal print kitten heel wedges for you to add to your wardrobe now: