Wear stars and stripes and celebrate independence day with fresh takes on patriotic style…
Playing with classic American heritage symbols on 4th of July has been about as out of style as wearing stirrup pants, that is, until we noticed key elements back on the scene.
From Acne’s winning Spring 2012 collection featuring star & stripe motifs in unexpectedly cool inclinations to Lana Del Ray’s ultra-cool take on an otherwise banal piece, the idea of donning patriotic symbols hasn’t looked so cool and covetable in quite some time.
>>Going on a Holiday? Expert Packing Tips Await You
We love Acne’s take (above) with its off-key hues, full skirt with retro flair paired with a cropped knit top and natural hair. Its fun, stylish and quite easy to accomplish on your own.
Think about stepping out of your routine and comfort zone this holiday -just because many of the events you’ll be heading to call for an ultra casual dress code doesn’t mean you need to skimp on style, especially when its this effortless.
>>MORE SPORTIF STYLE: The Return of the Baseball Hat & How to Wear It
What works for songstress Lana Del Ray in this widely seen publicity shot of the style-maker on the rise is the retro-glamour her hair & make-up brings to mind.
Although a paired with a pretty easy to find , basic sweater, together they are unexpected but also work to evoke a sexier vibe composed of cool allure. Just don’t over do it!
What to look for/What to avoid:
- Look for basic pieces like Del Ray’s sweater that you can use as a base for accessories and stylized hair
- Stick to simple shapes and classic hues
- Keep it clean, leave the punkish takes on flag emblazoned gear for the kids
- Show your pride with only one piece, no need to go overboard
- While that anchor piece could have heritage blues, reds and whites as well as starts & stripes, pair it with a neutral base
- Look for elements you can add to amp up your looks cool factor this holiday, we like Del Ray’s gold jewelry, it adds both a nautical kick and an old-school elegance to an easy to pull off, winning look
Stars & Stripes starting at just $25 online now: