Part One- The best-ever foods to prevent aging….
Nobody wants to age. Nobody wants wrinkles or a waddly neck. So, how do we battle the aging process? Well, the quickest answer is—the way your skin and body ages depends on how you treat your body, inside and out!
Here’s what most people don’t get: your aesthetic beauty depends more on the strength of your digestion and metabolism, the quality of your sleep, how often you have a bowel movement, the foods you eat and the cleanliness of your liver than on scrubs, cleansers and anti-wrinkle creams that cost you your entire paycheck. When you proactively take care of your internal health, your external appearance will truly radiate with that envied youthful glow.
In this two part series, first off we’ll discuss the absolute-hands-down-best-ever foods to eat to prevent aging and boost collagen production and secondly I will explain to you the uber-importance of a healthy emotional state and abundant confidence in creating lasting beauty into your 50’s, 60’s and 70’s!
One of the most important ways to beat the aging demons is to eat as healthy and as clean as possible.
Here are the top 8 dietary tips you need to follow to battle aging:
- Eat organic fresh, whole and natural occurring foods that are freshly prepared. Yes, organic is MORE expensive but worth it! For the sake of your health and your external appearance, avoid packaged, frozen and processed foods as they offer zero nutritional value and do zilch for your aging skins collagen layers.
- Eat loads of leafy green vegetables like beet greens (top part of beets), kale, any kind of seaweed, broccoli, brussel sprouts, collard greens and spinach nourish the skin and protect it from premature aging. These veggies are loaded with antioxidants, help regulate your hormones and contain many essential vitamins and minerals like iron and calcium.
- Consume juicy fruits like grapes, melons, pears, plums, grapefruit, oranges, pomegranates, pineapple, kiwi, figs, dates and apples. These foods are brimming with antioxidants, promote efficient digestion, help remove impurities from your body and are awesome for your skin.
- Avoid processed white flour! Instead eat a wide variety of organic whole grains, like stone-ground whole wheat, amaranth, quinoa, couscous, millet and barley. Not only are these grains loaded with antioxidants, they are great for promoting healthy bowel movements that rid your body of toxins.
- Use oil and eat butter. These types of fats are amazing for your skin. The best oils are: organic extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil (raw, organic and centrifuged) and organic sesame oil. Butters and ghees (clarified butter) that are organic and all natural should also be included in your diet as they lubricate, nourish and create lustrous skin, hair and nails. And, to keep your skin extra lush, put organic coconut oil on a clean face each night before bed.
- Use spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander, and red and black pepper. These yummy spices improve digestion, nourish the skin, detox your liver and cleanse your skin of impurities. Use a 1 teaspoon; just enough to season your meal or drink, not overpower it.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement daily. Personally, I like cod liver oil the best because it’s the richest source of omega 3 essential fatty acids (EFA’s). EFA’s play an important role in helping our bodies produce and regulate hormones, manage inflammation and maintain a high functioning brain and nervous system. And they make your skin glow from the inside out!
- Eat nuts. These crunchy guys are loaded with the anti-aging antioxidant vitamin E. Almonds in particular contain high concentrations of antioxidants, ward off sugar cravings and help reduce cholesterol. Walnuts contain ellagic acid, an antioxidant and cancer-fighter, and are also high in omega-3 type oil. — Aimee E. Raupp
-Original Publish Date: August 11, 2009