I’ll Have What She’s Having: Take it from the chic set at Cannes, a classic white blouse will easily anchor your bold pieces or create an instant shirt dress
Today’s installment of our series of the best of Cannes Do Chic has a wardrobe stable making a stellar appearance at the photocalls and red carpets of the Cannes Film Festival, the celebrity event where we see things that WE can actually wear! Hooray!
How can something so simple look so great?
Well, isn’t that really what chic is about?
I’ve said it before at Cannes in our French Chic Shirt Lesson 101, nothing beats a crisp white shirt as a go-to piece in your wardrobe.
Wear it to counterbalance something that’s totally out of the box or crazy bold for you, like a big print skirt or colorful suit. You can even wear it with jeans. If white is not your thing that day, you can even try blue. It’s the simplicity of a tailored classic that’s the key.
Want to look a bit more streamlined?
Try it with a simple cotton skirt. Add heels and a clutch to avoid the nursey-nurse feel.
Here we go for inspiration. Peek at Alexia Niedzielski in all white and Sarah Gadon, who makes a strong case for a Peter Pan collar, both pictured above. Their looks are timeless and ageless, appropriate for a twenty-something or 50+,
If you’re opting for something that’s a tad more conservative, verging on corporate, take a look at how pretty an ivory top looks on Mia Wasikowska or the way Léa Seydoux lighted up her colorful suit, another Frenchy favorite.
What basics a basic so special is how you accent it. Try these styling tips to make your white shirt chic and classic.
- Shoes count! Add a heel or more statement shoe to make your top pop.
- Be sure your blouse doesn’t pull in the bra line. A bit of double-stick tape or well-placed safety-pin between the gaping buttons should do the trick.
- Keep your hair soft and undone for a less aging look.
- White can wash you out so be sure to add a little natural color to your cheeks and lips.
- Not all whites are created equal. be sure the shade compliments both your skin tone and the color of your teeth.
I pulled some French Chic white shirts that you can dress up or dress down. Click to shop:
Required Reading for Instant French Chic:
- Join my FREE newsletter and download “Passport to French Chic,” now!
- The French Chic at a Certain Age Series
- French Chic Fashion Tips
- How to Dress French When You Are Not
- The French Chic Formula for Everyday Style a la Emmanuelle Alt
- French Chic Style
- Cannes Do Chic Series
- French Chic Shoe Lesson 101: Red shoes pops a simple LBD, a la Berenice Bejo
- More French Chic posts
>> MORE: How to wear a white shirt posts