I’ll Have What She’s Having: Dusty Pastels & Make-Up Neutrals have dominated trend reports over the past few seasons: Learn How to Wear Sophisticated Pastels to get in on the action…
While pastels and timeless neutral tones are nothing new, its more than safe to say that they haven’t looked this refreshed and rethought since their heyday in the 90’s. And maybe that’s exactly part of the reason that pastels seem so fresh as they make for a great alternative to the heavy blacks and omnipresent saturated colors of the last decade.
But how to wear pastels well after Easter Sunday without looking like a tart that’s too sweet you ask? Keep in mind that the idea here is ‘sophisticated’ and you’ll be on track.
>> DISCOVER: Paris Street Style
Take a look at these street style ladies perfectly executing the trend for starters. What’s immediately noticeable is how a lighter mix of head-to-toe hues allows the eye to take in the silhouette and beauty of the cuts while highlighting both the face and hair. But most of all, how cool does the idea of a pastel moto-jacket, above, or box plaid, like the JW Anderson sweater, below, sound as its at once classic, cool, daring and fun. Plus a toned down hue, like anything toned down, often suggests good taste.
Follow these tips to stay on-trend:
- Start with a neutral foundation, say a coat, and build around that starting point
- Keep the entire looks color range coordinated and veer away from heavy colors to avoid tipping the balance
- Look for pieces that one would normally associate in a darker hue such as motorcycle jackets, parkas and suiting
- Try to emphasize the trend by mixing as many off neutrals as you possibly can, from clothes to shoes and bags, go pastel!
- Stick to substantial pieces and avoid frothy, overtly femme styles especially in chiffons and organza -keep it basic
- Hair and make-up should be left natural and at most toned down
- Jewelry and add-on’s should be kept on the minimal side, this trend is about quiet punctuation
- A totally modern, urban minded layered topper adds a tough touch to a stand-by, feminine spring frock and accessories.
- A mix of pastels with surprising flashes of color and a graphic panel lend this otherwise classic 70’s inspired look an updated spirit.
Are you in to wearing sophisticated pastels? Tell us YOUR top pastel tips to look chic in the comments below. –Naveed Hussain
>>SHOP: We pulled some dusty & sophisticated pastels to help you update your wardrobe…
Photo: Frances J Davison