Dear Sharon: I’m getting exhausted from trying to figure out what to wear to holiday parties as this season progresses. I still have a few more fetes left- some are casual, some are kind of dressy. What in tarnation can I wear without having to buy something new each and every time I have to show my face at a party?
I’ve been working a black pencil skirt and a black satin jacket but I think that not only am I sick of these two pieces, so is everyone else who sees me! Please help me rework my holiday style. (via fashion advice)
Yes, there can be such a thing as party outfit fatigue! As holiday parties keep going, most of us get a bit drained from too much of a good thing. There really is no reason to go mad with a million different party outfits if, in all honesty, you are not on the party circuit the rest of the year.
A few good glam pieces are all you really need to live it up in style.
You’ve got the basics covered in a black satin jacket and a slim black skirt, but that can get a bit dull after a while. I’ve pulled few items that you may even own or want to consider to rework what you have. Take a look after the jump.
Let’s start to think about ways to rework your black jacket…
- Try a pair of red jeans- skinny or velvet– for more of a casual cool look.
- Wear it open over a red sheath dress– sexy and slinky or more classic. Don’t forget to pull your hair back and add a mah-jor pair of earrings.
- Try some black wide leg pants or palazzo pants for a take on classic YSL style.
Now for that black pencil skirt…
- Wear a sequin T-shirt for a simple, dressy yet casual feel.
- Add a wide corset belt and simple black top for hourglass sex appeal.
- Try an embellished bustier to create the illusion of a strapless dress.
If you must buy something new, make it something that you can also rework for a few seasons to come… and not just for parties.
Some holiday items to mix and match to rework your look:
Photo: Black Marc by Marc Jacobs jacket in lead photo is available at Bloomingdales.