Straight from Paris Fashion Week comes sporty street style inspiration to pep you up now… Go Varsity!
Sound familiar? We brought the sporty Varsity insignia trend to your attention back in July with our coverage of one of Raf Simons final hit collections at Jil Sander straight from the runway –in case you missed. For pre-fall, Simons was serving a nod to the ultimate in chic retro prep, but the charming redhead here adds a touch of relaxed, everyday cool that’s worth taking note of.
What works above is that while it is indeed a highly recognizable piece, the outfit has a lived in feel thats luxe but worn in a way that pays a nod to grunge and today’s mix of hi/lo. Coordinating menswear plaid trousers, a modern coat vest and a classic quilted bag work to punctuate the looks low-key, personalized take.
Sure, we wanted that sweater and the many iterations on hand, but they all sold out -not that its hard to find the right varsity piece. The key is finding the right piece. And until we do, this well dressed show goer will have us thinking of the many possibilities a varsity top can be worn.
What to varsity pieces to look for?
- Keep your eye out for unexpected, exaggerated ladylike shapes
- Consider sturdy fabrications a key-note as they lend the theme a fashion-forward vibe
- Jewel tones like those from Jil Sander also add a remarkable shift to the trend
- While our favorite pieces can be dressed up & down, we suggest going more formal when shopping collegiate inspired pieces
- Avoid distressed elements -that moment is over for now
Photos: Top- Frances J Davison, Bottom- Jil Sander